What is so special about a health and wellness coaching relationship?
Health and wellness coaching is a science and an art form, not just a lockstep process or formula.
Fundamentally, health and wellness coaching encompasses the sciences of positive psychology, behaviour change, nutrition, exercise and lifestyle medicine with the dynamic art of relationships, teamwork and community.
Health & Wellness Coaches focus on guiding and assisting their clients to develop the resilience advantage that long term behaviour change delivers in health and wellness outcomes.
Health and wellness coaching is a patient or client-centred approach that focuses on assisting them to elicit and clarify their values, gain insights into their lifestyle practices and develop a deeper understanding of possibilities and pathways to resolution of their challenges.
For the patient or client, this is a journey of self-discovery that ultimately leads to them setting goals, accepting a level of self-responsibility and experiencing positive self-determination.
It is this self-awareness and knowledge that inspires and motivates them to bridge the gap between intention and action.
What Health & Wellness Coaches Do
- Listen and empathise
- Honour the client in the driver’s seat
- Affirm the client’s strengths
- Elicit their goals, motivations, and ambitions
- Hear from the client’s past success, projecting those resources into their future
- Create lifestyle change through conversation
- Move the client toward actions and goals
- Grow the mindset for change and the resilience advantage
- Refer to an expert when required
- Diagnose syndromes or illnesses
- Coach on sports programs unless co-qualified
- Act as therapists or counsellors to their clients unless co qualified
- Give a ‘prescription for health’ or nutraceutical supplements
- Design a workout or a diet plan
- Administer expertise and give advice
- Share your personal wellness practices