Health Coaches Australia
& New Zealand Assoc.
Health Coaches Australia & New Zealand Association Approves Dr. Sears Wellness Institute Master Health Coach Certification
The Dr. Sears Wellness Institute Master Health Coach Certification is now fully approved by the Health Coaches Australia & New Zealand Association (HCANZA). HCANZA supports the growth of Health Coaching and establishing professional standards in the Australia and New Zealand region. Programs approved by HCANZA must meet rigorous educational and professional standards as set forth by the Health Coaching industry. Master Certified Health Coaches from the Dr. Sears Wellness Institute (DSWI) meet these standards and are qualified to become part of HCANZA. HCANZA members support industry advancement, gain additional credibility in the region, and benefit from a range of membership advantages.
With chronic disease rates continuing to rise globally, DSWI is committed to training and certifying Health Coaches to become part of the solution to the global public health crisis. DSWI teaches a science-based curriculum developed by Dr. William Sears and a team of experts, training students in evidence-based coaching skills and a lifestyle medicine approach to health on the four pillars of lifestyle, exercise, attitude, and nutrition (L.E.A.N.). Specialty programs focus on the unique health needs of families, pregnancy, and adults & seniors. DSWI Certified Health Coaches are equipped to guide individuals through one-on-one and group coaching sessions to create lasting, sustainable behaviour changes, making an immediate difference in the health and wellbeing of those in their communities.
“We see an urgent need to help those with preventable chronic diseases, such as obesity, diabetes, and heart disease across the world. Our goal is to educate, equip, and empower Health Coaches in Australia and New Zealand with the tools and resources they need to make a positive difference in the lives of those in their communities. Together, in collaboration with HCANZA, we have the power to extend and improve the quality of life for many people around the world.” — Dominique Hodgin, Executive Director of Education, Dr. Sears Wellness Institute
According to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, rates of preventable chronic disease in Australia and New Zealand parallel chronic disease rates in the U.S.
- 1 in 2 Australians (47%) had 1 or more of 10 selected chronic conditions (arthritis, asthma, back pain, cancer, cardiovascular disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, diabetes, chronic kidney disease, mental health conditions and osteoporosis) in 2017–18. (1)
- 1 in 2 hospitalizations (51%) in 2017-2018 involved 1 of the 10 selected chronic conditions. (1)
- Nearly 9 in 10 (89%) of deaths in 2018 were associated with the 10 chronic diseases. (1)
Rates of obesity, which is both chronic disease and a risk factor for other diseases, also continue to rise.
- In 2017–2018, an estimated 2 in 3 (67%) Australians aged 18 and over were overweight or obese (36% were overweight but not obese, and 31% were obese). That’s approximately 12.5 million adults. (2)
- The prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adolescents aged 5–17 rose from 20% in 1995 to 25% in 2007–2008, then remained relatively stable to 2017–2018. (2)
Together, HCANZA and DSWI support highly trained health coaches to help address these staggering health statistics as part of a professional care team.
“The confidence of patients to create sustainable lifestyle changes is central to any health journey. Health and Wellness Coaches are experts in behaviour change that support patients on this path. The demand from medical and allied health professionals for credible and appropriately trained health and wellness coaches in our region has never been greater. Health Coaches Australia & New Zealand Association (HCANZA) are excited to collaborate with Dr Sears Institute Master Certified Health Coaches to meet this growing demand in the Australian and New Zealand professions.” — Linda Funnell-Milner, Chair, HCANZA
ABOUT HEALTH COACHING AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND (HCANZA)
Health Coaching Australia & New Zealand Association (HCANZA) is the leading professional membership organization for Health Coaches in Australia and New Zealand. HCANZA’s mission is to:
- Be the platform for the unity of the profession of Health & Wellness Coaches in Australia & New Zealand.
- Support Health & Wellness Coaches, Primary Care Physicians and Allied Health professionals to connect, communicate and aspire to deliver on our collective vision of Co-Creating Universal Health and Wellness.
- Be the respected industry voice for an appropriate standard in Health & Wellness Coaching nationally and internationally.
- Lead and support the development and recognition of a comprehensive scientific and competencies-based qualification standard.
- Collaborate with Governments, Public Health Advocates, as well as Patient and Consumer Health, advocates to ensure the integrity and inclusive nature of the Health & Wellness Coaching Industry Standard.
- Be the respected collaborator representing Health & Wellness Coaches as an integral member of Collaborative Care Teams that are addressing the rise in chronic disease management from a patient or client-centred perspective.
ABOUT DR. SEARS WELLNESS INSTITUTE
A top provider of online health coach training and certification, DSWI’s Health Coach Certification and Master Health Coach Certification programs lead the industry with a specialized approach to education. Certified and Master Certified Health Coaches receive specialty training to address the unique needs of children and families, pregnant and post‐partum women, adults and seniors. Health coaches with specialty training address the whole person, which empowers clients to make sustainable lifestyle behaviour changes.
DSWI’s mission is to educate, equip, and empower individuals and organizations with practical science‐based training and resources to improve the health of others through the principles of Lifestyle, Exercise, Attitude, and Nutrition (L.E.A.N.). With a commitment to providing unparalleled support for an active community of health coaches, DSWI provides an education that can transform lives, helping people reach optimal health through a balanced approach to wellness.